IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM Nigeria commenced activities in 2001 and focused its interventions on counter trafficking activities, migration issues, return and reintegration of stranded migrants especially to Liberia, and Voluntary Returns from abroad.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for Latest Job at the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
Human Resources Officer
- Full Time
- Required Qualifications: BA/BSC/HND – MBA/MSC/MA
- Location: Abuja | Nigeria.
- Under the direct supervision of Senior Resources Management Officer ( SRMO) and overall guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Nigeria, and in close collaboration with the Human Resource Management (HRM) Units at Headquarters (HQ), Manila Administrative Centre (MAC) and Panama Administrative Centre (PAC), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing the Human Resources functions of the Country Office and its Sub-Offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- In coordination with the SRMO, oversee the Human Resources Management function in the Country Office including its Sub-Offices in accordance with the Organization’s policies, procedures and practices. Advise the SRMO and the CoM on interpreting and applying IOM’s Human Resources policies, rules and regulations, as well as standards and techniques taking into account the Country Office’s activities.
- Supervise and monitor the work of the Human Resources staff in carrying out all human resources administrative transactions, including preparation of personnel actions, updating PRISM HR, and processing of contracts. Conduct the SES appraisals of directly reporting staff.
- Liaise with external IOM partners on HR related policies. Act as a Focal Point for the external HR Companies in terms of recruitment and deployment of staff for the working in emergency areas. Review and process all the HR related documentation received from the HR Companies.
PRISM HR Administration:
- Maintain the Country Office’s PRISM HR module and keep its information up to date. In coordination with PAC – Human Resources Advisory Services (HRAS), MHRO – Personnel Admin Support Team and the Regional Office, coordinate and implement new salary scales.
- Monitor and ensure effective administration of the PRISM HR Organizational Management module.
- Monitor and supervise the maintenance of the personnel files and attendance records of the Country Office correctly and in line with organizational standards.
- Supervise the preparation of the monthly payroll for national staff and related administrative actions.
- Train HR staff in the Country Office and Field Offices on PRISM HR modules for easy administration.
HR Policy and Advisory:
- Assist the SRMO with roll-out and implementation of new policies, instructions, and procedures within the Country Office.
- In coordination with SRMO, implement personnel policies and procedures for the national staff.
- Ensure that the Country Office’s HR processes and actions (including, inter alia, selection,
- recruitment, retention, professional development and training activities, separation and end of contract duties) remain consistent with the relevant IOM policies and procedures. Advice and support staff and managers on HR matters.
- Oversee the contractual situation and the administration of entitlements of international and national staff (including, inter alia, health insurance and Compensation Plan (CP) inclusion, step increases, family allowances, etc.), as well as requests for promotions, recruitment, separation, etc.
- Liaise with Manila Human Resources Operations (MHRO) and the Finance Section on delivery of benefits/privileges to international staff in the field such as, Danger Pay, Health Insurance/ Medical Service Plan (HI/MSP), Educational Grant, Home Leave, Rental Subsidy, etc., and the administration of Rest and Recuperation travel.
- In coordination with SRMO, liaise with the relevant offices in Headquarters and PAC-HRAS as required, support in managing administrative actions and in addressing grievances and resolving disciplinary matters.
- Advise on staffing issues and oversee the elaboration of project staffing tables, including vacancies and use of temporary assistance to meet exceptional work requirements.
- In consultation with line managers, monitor and assess staffing needs and ensure effective workforce planning.
- Advise and support line managers in the recruitment processes for locally recruited personnel.
- As required, support recruitments of international personnel.
- Monitor compliance with the Staff Evaluation System (SES) within the Country Office, and advocate for timely completion of the performance management process in line with organizational deadlines. Provide support to all staff on business-related issues. As required, facilitate performance management discussions between staff and supervisors.
- Coordinate the planning and organizing of the staff development and training for the Country Office in close collaboration with Human Resources Management/ Staff Development and Learning (HRM/SDL).
- Collaborate with line managers in establishing staff development and training priorities and plans. Deliver induction and other forms of trainings to staff.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Assist the SRMO in the preparation of administrative reports that may be required in coordination with the Heads of Units/Programmes as required.
- Oversee the preparation of reports pertaining to personnel administration of international and national staff of Nigeria Country Office, as required.
- Review audit recommendations on HR matters and, in coordination with the SRMO, implement them within the HR function.
- Prepare special reports and participate in and/or lead special HR projects in coordination with MAC, PAC and/or HRM HQs.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, Social Sciences or Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University Degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience;
- Working experience in management and administration in all facets of HR, Talent acquisition, talent management, administration of staff contracts and entitlements, interpretation and implementation of staff rules and regulations and development of HR guidelines in a complex humanitarian environment;
- Previous working experience in an international organization is an advantage;
- Previous working experience in Africa and/or developing countries is an advantage;
- Familiarity with the UN common system or similar systems is an advantage; and,
- A high degree of computer literacy is required; good knowledge of MS Office suite and PRISM is essential.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports;
- Excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to analyses complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions;
- Strong general analytical skills; and,
- Strong organizational skills.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
- For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Method of Application
Qualified and interested candidate should Apply by Clicking the Button below.
Important Information and Notice
- IOnly shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date.
- No late applications will be accepted.