The military said that an Israeli civilian opened fire on a Palestinian after an attempted stabbing at a settler farm in the occupied West Bank on Saturday. This is just the latest incident as violence has increased in the region.
It said that during the “attempted stabbing attack” at the Sde Efraim farm, northwest of Ramallah, a perpetrator attempted to stab an Israeli civilian.
The army continued, telling AFP that the Palestinian was killed by a civilian gunshot and that “the terrorist was neutralized.”
According to the army statement, no other people were hurt in the event.
Israeli security personnel were seen by an AFP photographer barring a Palestinian ambulance from entering the area.
The Palestinian health ministry said 42-year-old Tariq Maali was killed “after the occupation (Israel) opened fire on him” near the Palestinian village of Kafr Nama.
According to Israeli anti-settlement movement Peace Now, the farm is known as a wildcat settlement, an outpost not recognised by Israel.
All settlements are deemed illegal under international law, which Israel disputes.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu plans to pursue a policy of increased settlement expansion in the West Bank, and ultra-Orthodox Jewish parties in his coalition advocate the annexation of some of the territory.
The shooting brings to 18 the number of Palestinians killed so far this month in the West Bank, according to an AFP tally which includes militants and civilians.
The inauguration in December of the most right-wing government in Israel’s history, led by Netanyahu, has sparked fears of a military escalation in the Palestinian territory occupied by Israel since the 1967 Six-Day War.
The majority of the 18 Palestinians killed this year were shot dead by Israeli forces.
Violence this month adds to a toll that left more than 150 Palestinians killed in the West Bank last year, the highest annual toll since United Nations records began in 2005.
At least 26 Israelis and 200 Palestinians were killed across Israel and the Palestinian territories in 2022, according to AFP figures.
The new event, which occurred at the same place as another Palestinian man who was shot and killed by a guard over two years ago, was not further described by the Palestinian health ministry.
In that incident from February 2021, the Israeli army claimed that the man attempted to enter into a home that a Palestinian authority claimed was constructed on his property.